If you live in a state that requires separate tax rates for each city (Washington state, for example), you can import a spreadsheet file (CSV) containing all of the pertinent information rather than having to create a new tax option for each city by hand on our Sales Tax page. You can import the sales tax spreadsheet by doing the following:
- From the main menu, click Selling » Prices, Shipping, Tax » Sales Tax.
- Click the Import from CSV button.
- Click the Browse button to locate the CSV file on your computer.
- Click Import The File.
Your CSV spreadsheet file must contain the following columns: Type, Country, State, Custom, Tax, TaxShipping.
- The Type column should contain one of the following values: "City", "PostalCode", "County", or "All."
- The Country column should contain the name of the country. Such as "United States" or "Canada." Note: If you have a question about what the country name should be listed as, please check the droplist from the Create New form within the Sales Tax page.
- The State column should contain either the name of the state/province or, if the Type column is set to "All" and you are setting a rate for an entire country, it should be blank.
- The Custom column should contain the name of the city, the postal code, the county name, or, if the Type column is set to "All" and you are setting a rate for an entire state/province, it should be blank.
- The Tax column should contain the tax rate for the area you are setting up. This should be a decimal number with the value provided being less than 1. For example, a tax rate of 6.9% should be provided as .069.
- The TaxShipping column should be either "Yes" or "No", depending on whether or not you are required to collect sales tax on your shipping prices.